Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Best Two Years



August 10 finally came. After almost 5 months of waiting, Jaden finally got to pack his bags for the MTC and then the Chile Concepcion South Mission. I loved his comment as we were driving in the gates of the MTC. We'd said our goodbyes, taken pictures--all that was left was this. He said, "My stomach feels like I'm on Re-entry at Lagoon." Mine did, too! But we took our place at curbside, unloaded, said a quick goodbye and off he went.

Being the mom of a missionary is quite an emotional ride. You feel extremely happy and extremely sad, very grateful, tender, emotional--it's hard to get all the emotions to settle in and just feel the joy. I had prayed for strength to be brave and not have my ugly bawling red face Jaden's last memory of me. We had said our goodbyes, taken pictures, and cried and hugged. All that was left was this. So we took our spot at curbside, unloaded the luggage, a few more hugs, a few more tears, and off he went.

Jaden was most worried about meeting his companion. We have all been praying he got a perfect match. We haven't heard yet, but we're hoping. Bishop Caywood told me last night that he feels like the assigning of companions is done under inspiration much like the mission call itself. That made me feel good, because we all feel like Jaden's call is handpicked.

When I got home on Wednesday, I went outside to straighten up. Bad idea! I picked up the worn out basketball that is Jaden's favorite to play 4 square with and got all choked up. I tightened the cover on his pool and started to cry. Finally I just gave up and went inside and upstairs and cried myself to sleep on his bed.

I do pretty well when I think in terms of days of weeks; it's when I think about not having Jaden around for 2 Christmases or until Lynzy and Keith's baby is Juni's age that I get really lonesome for my boy. But I'm going to count time in Fast Sunday's--only 24 Fast Sundays--that should go by pretty quickly.

I know Jaden will be a great missionary because he knows how to get along with others, he knows how to serve, and he has a strong testimony. I'm excited to think about his return in two years and seeing an even more pefect son step off the plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment